Cross-border Cooperation to Enhance Renewable Energy in the EU
- Date, Time
- Tuesday, 06. June 2017, 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Büro EU/Brüssel
Legislation in the Clean Energy Package for All Europeans addresses regional cooperation on the supra-nation or macro-level, meaning between two or more Member States. However, a multi-stakeholder policy dialogue facilitated by the World Future Council and the Heinrich Böll Foundation European Union unveiled that sub-national or micro-level cooperation between local and regional governments across national borders is crucial to unleash the full potential of renewable energy deployment. The micro-level cooperation is indispensable because it offers the best possibility to create fitted-solutions for local needs and establish adequate frameworks on national and European level.
Building on this, the policy dialogue provides an interactive platform to develop concrete strategies for implementation. It follows a two-day workshop, a study tour and two parliamentary policy dialogues hosted by the World Future Council and the Heinrich Böll Foundation EU since April 2016. The upcoming policy debate, supported by the Committee of the Regions,will build on the recommendations summarized in the report “Enhancing Regional Renewables Cooperation in the EU” and deepen the discussion with EU policy-makers, regional and local authorities, as well as civil society representatives on how to mobilize existing tools and approaches to foster cross-border cooperation for renewable energy. The goals of the conference are to:
- inform European regions and EU policy makers about the opportunities of cross-border cooperation to enhance renewable energy;
- offer a platform to regional and local authorities to fill the political space in the debate about regional cooperation in the policy process of the “Clean Energy Package for All Europeans”;
- establish a cross-border and multi-stakeholder dialogue on solutions for regional cooperation to enhance renewable energy in the EU
Date: Tuesday, 6 June, 14:00h – 18:00h (registration from 13:30h)
Venue: European Committee of the Regions, Rue Belliard 99-101, 1040 Bruxelles, room JDE51
- Alexandra Lafont, Mission Opérationelle Transfrontalière, France
- Frederick Richters, Government of Luxembourg
- Claude Turmes, Rapporteur for the Governance Regulation in the Clean Energy Package, Greens/EFA, European Parliament
- Magdalena Jaworska-Duzynska, City Office of Karlino, Poland
- Brendan Devlin, EC DG Energy
- Slaven Klobučar, European Grouping of Territorial Cooperation (EGTC)
- Jan Carsten Gjerløw, Akershus County Council, Norway
- Roberto Zangrandi, Secretary General, EDSO for Smart Grids
- Susanne Nies, ENTSO-E
- Melinda Loonstra, SEREH, Netherlands
Statements from the floor with Kristian Ruby, EURELECTRIC Secretary General
As space is limited, we kindly ask you to register online by Monday, 22 May.
We look forward to your participation!