- Wednesday, 29. September 2021 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm Save in my calendar
The aftermath of the 2021 German federal election
Analysis of the results and implications for Europe
The German federal election (#BTW21) took place on 26 September 2021. This election marks the end of the Merkel era, as well as a likely reconfiguration of the German political landscape. Election results indicate a high degree of volatility in the electorate and many possible government coalitions.
The elections took place in the midst of a pandemic that has tested European solidarity and cooperation. The whole continent craves for a much-needed health, economic and social recovery, and for speeding up the fight against the climate crisis. Against this background, Europe and the world are watching at this election's result with special attention.
The Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung European Union office in Brussels, in cooperation with the Representation of the State of Baden-Württemberg to the European Union, will address key questions about the election results and its implications for the future role of Germany in Europe.
Welcome by Eva van de Rakt, Director, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung European Union, Brussels, and Bodo Lehmann, Head of the Representation of the State of Baden-Württemberg to the European Union
Analysis of results: seats, trends and shifts, as well as possible coalitions, by Stefanie John, Head of Political and Party Research, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Berlin
Panel debate with:
- Dr. Franziska Brantner, Member of the German Bundestag and group Spokesperson for Europe, Alliance 90/The Greens, Berlin
- Sven Giegold, Member of the European Parliament (Greens/EFA) and Spokesperson German Greens EP delegation
- Paul Maurice, Research Fellow, Study Committee on Franco-German Relations, French Institute of International Relations (ifri), Paris
- Brick Medak, Head of Berlin Office, Third Generation Environmentalism (E3G), Berlin
Q & A with the audience
Moderation: Méabh Mc Mahon, Reporter, Euronews
For any questions, please contact Joan.Lanfranco@eu.boell.org
- Brussels/Berlin (CEST)
➽ Online Event