- Friday, 09. June 2023 12:30 pm – 1:30 pm Save in my calendar
Green Artificial Intelligence: Effective Approaches to AI Regulation
as Global Greens Congress 2023 session
Date: 9 June 2023 (Fri)
Time: 12:30 - 13:30, Korean Standard Time (GMT+9)
Venue: Room 207, Songdo Convensia Centre, Incheon, South Korea
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology is developing extremely rapidly. Recently, large-language models like ChatGPT have become publicly available. There is significant global debate about AI opportunities and risks, and it is clear that this technology cannot develop unchecked. Concerns about AI applications leading to “algorithmic discrimination”, rights violations by automated and non-transparent decision-making, or manipulation of public opinion are now entering the public debate. In addition, there are new concerns about existential risk arising from uncontrolled growth of artificial “general” intelligence.
In this session we want to explore and work towards developing a consensus on effective regulatory measures for AI - reaping the benefits whilst also protecting human rights, freedoms and democracy, and working towards climate and nature goals.
How can AI development be socially responsible, safeguard human rights and democratic debate, and foster environmental sustainability?
This panel brings together experts working on AI regulatory policies in different parts of the world. Speakers will outline ideas and approaches for AI regulation which are currently on the table, including ideas for a “Green Charter on AI”, and the AI Act currently under deliberation at the EU institutions.
- Christine Elwell (CEO of University-Rosedale Green Party of Canada) [virtual]
- Sergey Lagodinsky (Member of European Parliament; AI Act Co-Rep for the Greens/EFA group) [recording]
- Toby Walsh (Scientia Professor of Artificial Intelligence, University of New South Wales) [virtual]
- Thomas Geun-young Moon (Co-chair of ICT Committee, Korean Green Party)
- Johnson Chandra (ICT Committee Coordinator, Indonesian Green Party)
- Achmad Jerry (Public Policy Committee Coordinator, Indonesian Green Party)
- Jose Miguel Quintanilla (Coordinator, Green Citizenship Program, Green Movement of Guatemala)
- Axel Harneit-Sievers (Director, Heinrich Böll Stiftung Asia Global Dialogue)
- Lucia Siu (Programme Manager, Heinrich Böll Stiftung Asia Global Dialogue)
Global Greens Congress programme on Whova
Green AI Resolution draft (upcoming)
Background paper by Christine Elwell. "Artificial General Intelligence - Regulating to Promote Human Control"
Green AI Charter working group (TBC)
European Union AI Act policy documents
Toby Walsh (2022), Machines Behaving Badly
➽ See event description
- External Event