Book presentation and discussion
- Thursday, 01. October 2020 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm Save in my calendar
"Get Lost!" European Return Policies in Practice
Watch the recording of this event here. Trouvez l'enregistrement de cet événement ici.
You can find the full publication here and the presentation by Kirsten Maas-Albert here (produced with support of Zina Weisner, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung).
In the past years, EU migration policy is focusing increasingly on the return of migrants. Politicians in many EU Member States are profiling themselves with promises to enforce the law, deport “effectively” and thus promote “order”. During the first half of 2020, less people were returned from the European Union to third countries, due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, since mid-July 2020 several EU Member States resumed returns, some even assisted by FRONTEX.
When it comes to asylum applications, the right to protection (in the event of a positive decision) is at odds with the obligation to leave the country (in the event of a negative decision). Some EU Member States are offering financial incentives for “voluntary" returns. Yet, many questions on the fate of deportees remain unanswered: what happens to them in their countries of origin? How do they live or survive once they return? Is the financial support granted for "voluntary returns" leading to sustainable livelihoods in their country of origin?
Against this background, the publication “Get lost! European Return Policies in Practice” sheds light on the dramatic realities for people returning to Afghanistan and Syria. The chapters on Tunisia, Senegal and Kosovo, on the other hand, provide insights into the current return and reintegration programmes, within the policy context of “tackling the root causes of flight”, as well as domestic economic situations in countries of origin.
Working languages: English and French (simultaneous interpretation).
Please register by 30 September 2020.
Kirsten Maas-Albert, Head of Africa Division and editor of ”Get lost!”, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Berlin
14:15-14:50 Discussion with:
- Francisco Gaztelu-Mezquiriz, Head of Unit - Irregular Migration and Return Policy, Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs, European Commission, Brussels
- Wajdi Filali, Project Manager Migration and Alternative Economy, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung, Tunis
- Tineke Strik, Member of the European Parliament, The Greens/EFA in the European Parliament, Brussels
- Moderation: Anna Schwarz, Head of Global Transformation Programme, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung European Union, Brussels
If you have any questions, please contact Anna Trzcinska.
➽ Online Event