- Wednesday, 09. June 2021 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Save in my calendar
Gendered disinformation: How should democracies respond to this threat?
15:00-16:00 London (BST) / 16:00-17:00 Brussels (CEST)
Watch the recording of this event.
Gendered disinformation is a form of violence particularly used against politically active women: the weaponisation of gendered stereotypes to attack and undermine women’s position in public life. It poses a serious barrier to gender justice and democracy online, but is not being widely recognised in policy responses to online harms and building a better web.
Against the backdrop of the updated EU Code of Practice on Disinformation, the Digital Services Act and the UK’s Online Safety Bill, Demos is partnering with the Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung European Union office in Brussels to look at how the EU and UK should respond to the threat of gendered disinformation undermining women’s participation in democracy.
This event will discuss the questions: how can we improve responses to gendered disinformation online? What can platforms do better? What government regulation may be needed, and are the current proposals on the table sufficient? How can international cooperation support better responses to gendered disinformation? And how can we best support those affected by gendered disinformation?
We would be delighted if you are able to join us for this discussion.
Welcome by Eva van de Rakt, Director, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung European Union, Brussels
Speakers will include:
- Gwendoline Delbos-Corfield, Member of the European Parliament (The Greens/EFA), member of the Special Committee on Foreign Interference in all Democratic Processes in the EU, including Disinformation, and substitute member of the Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality
- Alexandra Geese, Member of the European Parliament (The Greens/EFA), shadow rapporteur for the Digital Services Act
- Shmyla Khan, Research and Policy Director, Digital Rights Foundation, Pakistan
- Maria Giovanna Sessa, Researcher, EU Disinfo Lab
- Kristina Wilfore, Co-Founder, #ShePersisted
Chair: Ellen Judson, Senior Researcher, CASM (Centre for the Analysis of Social Media) at Demos
The discussion will be followed by a Q&A with the audience.
Please register here by 8 June 2021.
Working language: English
For any questions, please contact Anna Trzcińska.
- 15:00-16:00 London (BST) / 16:00-17:00 Brussels (CEST)
➽ Online Event