- Wednesday, 20. January 2021 4:40 pm – 8:00 pm Save in my calendar
Inauguration Day in America
Linking Washington and Berlin
America has voted. On January 20, Joe Biden will be sworn in as the 46th President of the United States. Rarely has a U.S. presidential transition sparked as much attention and concern as the current one. Themed America United, Biden's inauguration ceremony is intended to mark a new chapter drawing from a core pillar of his campaign in bringing the country together.
To conclude our Road to Election Night & Beyond series, 13 experts from the transatlantic community will convene in Berlin to help you make sense of the inaugural process and its implications on both sides of the Atlantic. Join us for two virtual discussions on Inauguration Day and listen in as key representatives from transatlantic institutions and political foundations share their expectations regarding the Biden-Harris administration and the future of the Euro-American bond.
Framing a screening of the inaugural address, two panel discussions will be streamed live and feature the following speakers:
- Bastian Hermisson, Executive Director North America, Heinrich-Böll-Foundation, live from Washington
- John B. Emerson, Chairman, American Council on Germany, Ambassador of the United States to Germany (2013-17)
- Daniel Benjamin, President, American Academy in Berlin, Ambassador-at-Large and Coordinator for Counterterrorism, U.S. Department of State (2009-12)
- Warren Marine, Treasurer, American Chamber of Commerce in Germany e.V., Partner & Head of U.S. Country Practice, KPMG Germany
- Martin-Sebastian Abel, Board Member, Freundeskreis AmerikaHaus NRW e.V., Director, MSL Germany
- Tina Hassel, Head and TV Editor-in-Chief of ARD-Hauptstadtstudio in Berlin
- Anahita Thoms LL.M. Board Member, Atlantik-Brücke e.V., Partner, Baker McKenzie
- Dr. Meike Zwingenberger, Executive Director, Bavarian Center for Transatlantic Relations
- Prof. Dr. Stefan Fröhlich, Board Member, German Atlantic Association, Chairman, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg Institute of Political Science
- Knut Dethlefsen, Representative to the U.S. and Canada, Friedrich Ebert Foundation
- Michael Link, Board Member, Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom, Member of the German Bundestag (FDP)
- Mareike Ohlberg, Senior Fellow, Asia Program, German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Markus Ferber, Chairman, Hanns Seidel Foundation, Member of the European Parliament (CSU)
The two panels will be moderated by Terry Martin, Senior Anchor for Deutsche Welle News
On the day of the event, join the conversation via Twitter using the hashtag #R2EN for a chance of your question being featured in the panel discussions. This special format is part of the transatlantic virtual event series Road to Election Night & Beyond #R2EN, which is organized and hosted by several transatlantic institutions and political foundations. More information on the series can be found at www.landing.berlin-election-night.de. Please note: This event will be on the record and posted afterward in its entirety on YouTube.
➽ See event description