- Tuesday, 15. November 2022 3:00 pm – 4:00 pm Save in my calendar
Making International Trade in Green Hydrogen Fair and Sustainable
A Synthesis based on consultations in Africa & Latin America
Green hydrogen and its derivatives, produced from renewable energy, will likely play an important role in the future energy transition. While it is vastly preferable to fossil fuels, it still needs resources: different natural materials, land, and water. It is therefore not the silver-bullet, as some voices are advocating it. Green hydrogen could provide benefits and opportunities for countries’ socio-economic development and help them to “leapfrog” towards renewable energy infrastructure and associated technologies. However, there are also risks for local communities and the envisaged exporting countries located in the Global South.
We need to seize the opportunity and shape the emerging green hydrogen trade now, in its infancy!
Based on national consultations in seven African and Latin-American countries the Heinrich Böll Foundation together with Bread for the World developed international policy recommendations published in a synthesis report.
We will launch these results at this years COP27 Virtual EU Pavilion! You can register via the official COP27 EU Side Event Website.
- Dr. Dagmar Pruin, President, Bread for the World
- Dinga Sikwebu, Just Transition Mentor, Global Labour University (GLU), University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- Delia Villagrasa, Senior Advisor and Project Coordinator
- Jörg Haas, Lead International Politics, Heinrich Böll Foundation
- Rainer Baake, Managing Director, The Climate Neutrality Foundation, and Special Envoy for the German-Namibian Climate and Energy Cooperation
- James Mnyupe, Presidential Economic Advisor and Green Hydrogen Commissioner, Namibia
- Aleksandra Tomczak, Member of the Cabinet of Vice President Timmermans, European Commission
- Lauren Hermanus, Founder / Director, how we adapt
Tina Marie Jahn
Project Officer International Policy Division
➽ Online Event
- External Event
- Heinrich Böll Foundation - Headquarters Berlin