- Wednesday, 02. June 2021 1:30 pm – 2:15 pm Save in my calendar
Where’s Europe in...? (1/3) Solidarity and Fundamental Rights
MEP Sergey Lagodinsky with Ellen Ueberschär
Sometimes, the democratic game in Germany can be exhausting. Bars close, schools open, schools close again. The German states (Bundesländer) once again fail to agree on a common lockdown regulation; the Chancellor doesn't dare to speak a word of command, the European vaccination campaign remains as popular as the AstraZeneca vaccine.
The democratic game, however, can also be complicated: While democratic, public spaces remain closed to protect the many, others take to the streets against the so-called "Covid-19 dictatorship" without following distance or mask regulations. While students spend their Erasmus term in Paris back at their parents’ home in Leipzig, those who already received full vaccination ask when they will finally get their liberties back. The European vaccination passport is one possible answer to this.
In our kick-off discussion, MEP Sergey Lagodinsky and Ellen Ueberschär will discuss these questions:
- How can we protect and strengthen fundamental rights and at the same time understand solidarity as their elementary component?
- Why are fundamental rights and solidarity a fundamentally European issue?
- What do we need at the German and European level when it comes to strengthening democracy to be better equipped for the future?
- Sergey Lagodinsky, Member of the European Parliament, Greens/EFA Group
- Dr. Ellen Ueberschär, President, Heinrich-Böll-Stiftung
The discussion presents the opening of a new series "Where’s Europe in…?" that provides food for thought in a reality in which German and European policy can no longer be separated from each other:
- 2 June: Where’s Europe in...? (1/3) Solidarity and Fundamental Rights, with MEP Sergey Lagodinsky with Ellen Ueberschär
- 16 June: Where’s Europe in...? (2/3) Solidarity and Infrastructure, with MEP Sven Giegold with Ellen Ueberschär
- 23 June: Where’s Europe in...? (3/3) Solidarity and Mobility, with MEP Anna Deparnay-Grunenberg with Ellen Ueberschär
Simultaneous interpretation German-English via Zoom https://zoom.us/j/91593207439 Code: 245573